Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Frenchtown Road

Date of visit:  11/18/2014

An Acorn Woodpecker was spotted in Port Bolivar.  I haven't seen any of those this year, so even though there was only one sighting on one day, I thought I might get lucky.  I read American Oystercatchers could be found on Frenchtown Road.  I've never seen one of those.  Since this site is on the way to Port Bolivar, it was my chosen destination for a weekend day trip.

On the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail Map, the directions for this site end with a ferry ride.  I live much closer to Galveston than Bolivar, so my trip began with the ferry ride.  From the boat, I saw gulls, pelicans, cormorants, and dolphins.  It used to be I was lucky to see one or two dolphins every once in a while.  Lately, I've seen dolphins every time.  On this trip, there were two different groups of four or five hanging out near the landings on each side.



Once on the Bolivar side, I parked and walked out onto the jetty for a closer look at the birds and the dolphins, which swam very close.

No, don't get up.  I just want a quick photograph and then I'll be on my way.  No need to wake your friends.  


The Snowy Egret was fishing beside the loading ramp.


There weren't huge numbers of birds on Frenchtown Road, but I did find one or two individuals of at least ten different species.  This is one of those sites that can be birded without ever leaving the car.  I took the photo of the sleeping Least Sandpipers through an open window.

"What's with all the sleeping birds?  Wake up.  I want a photo."

I must have actually spoken out loud this time because they opened their eyes.  Oops.  They don't look too concerned, though.            


The Mottled Duck was a bit more wary.  He didn't fly away, but he swam toward the vegetation to obscure my view.


Yes!  I located and photographed an American Oystercatcher!  He's a lifer.

I checked every dead oak tree I could find in Port Bolivar and paid special attention to the ones near the restaurant where the woodpecker was seen.  No luck.  I'll be keeping my eyes open whenever I'm in the area - just in case.

Linking with Wild Bird Wednesday.

UTC060
Afternoon
50's, breezy, partly cloudy
Species identified (17):  Laughing Gull, Brown Pelican, Rock Pigeon, Double-Crested Cormorant, Snowy Egret, Great-Tailed Grackle, Red-Winged Blackbird, Mottled Duck, Killdeer, Least Sandpiper, Great Blue Heron, American Oystercatcher, Willet, Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Forster's Tern, Reddish Egret, Loggerhead Shrike    

20 comments:

  1. Great photos, wonderful birds. Through your camera is seen in all its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very productive outing, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images of the Water fowl, excellent photos Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great outing! I love the Pelicans, cute Sandpipers. Congrats on your Oystercatcher lifer! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool!!! I loved reading your narration by the way...along with great photos.

    >Hootin' Anni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read a post about birds I am fascinated by their names. It's to add something to my bird vocabulary - oystercatcher and acorn woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, nice captures, especially the American Oystercatcher. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snowy egret is beautiful! Very nice collection of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jen,
    What a nice shots of these different birds.
    Great how you've photographed them. Wonderful!!

    Kind regards,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  10. This time of year appears to be fabulous for birding in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WoW!!! you really hit the jackpot!!! those pelicans are such a treat for me as I don't see them at the jersey shore!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Birding without leaving the car...my kind of birding! :-) Since we don't hike anymore, it's either that or finding a nice spot to park ourselves and just sit and wait. Love that you see dolphins each time you cross on the ferry. Enjoyed your photos and narrative very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those pelicans, but they're all pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the brown pelicans and the sleepy duo. :) great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like another good trip. Congratulations on spotting new species.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like osytercatchers of all kinds - and this one is no exception. Great shot of a new bird!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jen,
    Beautiful series of images of the birds.
    The photos are all superb.
    A very good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow and you got a great shot of your first oystercatcher. I've seen a few, but never a really even halfway decent pic.

    ReplyDelete