Wednesday, April 16, 2014

McHale Park


I left Nassau Bay Park and waited by the bay at McHale Park until the rain let up a little.  


Most of the birds here were Laughing Gulls.  Preening...


...floating...


...hanging upside down.  I've seen lots of ducks in this position, but I believe this a first for me when it comes to gulls.


The rainy weather didn't keep the sailors indoors.  I saw so many sailboats, I began to wonder if there was a regatta.  There were more than one with "USA" and a number printed on the sail.

How does he sit on the edge like that?  I don't see a PFD (life jacket), either.


When I uploaded the pictures, one had a gull that looked twice the size of the Laughing Gulls.  The photo is not sharp enough to publish, but clear enough to make an ID.  Judging by the size and color, I'm calling it a Herring Gull.  Another first for 2014, and possibly a lifer - I only recently started keeping track.

Linking With:  Water World Wednesday

 
UTC077
Date of visit:  April 6, 2014
Time of day:  Mid Afternoon
Temp:  72
Conditions:  Rain, Periodic Downpours
Species Identified (4):  Laughing Gull, American Coot, Herring Gull, Great-tailed Grackle



15 comments:

  1. It's so neat to add a lifer to the list. I've had quite a few this year compared to other years. Love your gull and sailing shots. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely series, wonderful shots of the gulls.. Congrats on your lifer! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finding a lifer! Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the gulls are beautiful. (i love my pond, too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots. I like those guls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing Gulls are very smart looking and handsome birds. I saw lots in Mexico and never tired of looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting shots. Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One assumes that accidents must only happen to other people!

    Nice post of the gull on the post!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great images of the gulls and a pretty view of the sailboat!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those Laughing Gulls are so photogenic and smart too - hanging upside down to catch a lovely fish lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures, I really like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you....to have rain. We were out birding a couple of days ago in drizzle, but I don't think it even wet the ground any.

    Beautiful photos of the gulls...and the sky looks temperamental.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great birding shots ~ despite the rain ~ and thanks for your 'well wishes' ~ xoxo

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful shots -- if it wasn't a regatta they surely were practicing for one. Congrats on the lifer. I am not very good at gull ID...there are so darn many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are they solitary creatures? Where are all of his/her friends? :)
    Attractive bird.

    ReplyDelete